The internal LFS deadline for two undergraduate research award programs is 5 pm, Friday March 8, 2019. The programs are as follows:
LFS Faculty members with eligible active NSERC research grants may apply for the NSERC Undergraduate Student Research Award (USRA) program. Through these awards, you can receive a wage subsidy to hire an eligible student to work on research and development in your lab. Professors gain valuable help in furthering their research while supporting students in their learning.
Full details on how students can determine their eligibility can be found here. Students who are interested in hold a NSERC USRA at LFS will be required to contact eligible LFS faculty members directly and apply with a confirmed supervisor.
Applications for this program must be made online through NSERC, but PDF copies of the completed forms (Form 202 Part I and part II, as well as the student’s transcripts) must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org .
LFS selection criteria for NSERC USRA:
- 50% student marks/GPA
- 25% project description (NSERC Form 202 – Part II)
- 25% student role (NSERC Form 202 – Part II)
Designed for International undergraduate students who are interested in research, the Work Learn International Undergraduate Research Awards subsidizes professors and other eligible project supervisors to hire students to work on their research projects. The program provides students with workplace experience through undergraduate research opportunities, particularly for students interested in research as a career.
Eligible project supervisors include faculty members, post-doctoral fellows, and Ph.D. students.
Full details on how students can determine their eligibility can be found here. Students who are interested in hold a WLIURA at LFS will be required to contact eligible LFS project supervisors directly and apply with a confirmed supervisor.
There is no online application for this program, rather prospective applicants should send a completed LFS WLIURA application form, as well as the student’s transcripts (a copy of the official transcripts, including one copy of the back page legend) to email@example.com .
LFS selection criteria for WLIURA:
- 50% student marks/GPA
- 25% project description on the (LFS WLIURA application form)
- 25% student role on the (LFS WLIURA application form)
The LFS NSERC USRA and WLIURA review process is as follows:
- LFS (Associate Dean of Research in consultation with other faculty members) will review the NSERC USRA and WLIURA applications and rank them using the above selection criteria. A list of chosen candidates (the ‘A’ list) will be forwarded to the UBC Centre for Student Involvement and Careers (CSIC) by March 22, 2019. At the same time, a ‘B-list’ of candidates who meet the basic eligibility criteria will also be forwarded in the event that any of the A-list candidates are unable to take it up for whatever reason. CSIC will then review the online NSERC applications and notify us if there are any problems prior to allowing final submission to NSERC to go ahead.
- LFS will notify student/supervisor pairs of their status on the A or B list at the time the lists are forwarded to CSIC.
- If all is in order with the applications and student/supervisor eligibility, the appointment of the chosen A-list NSERC and WLIURA candidates will proceed by Friday, April 10th, 2019 (summer term) at the latest.
- Note that even if the student is approved by LFS and UBC, an official letter of notification of the award will not be sent from NSERC until July—i.e. the student will have been working on the USRA for at least two months before hearing from them.
- If a student is placed on the B-list, he/she may still have a chance to take up an NSERC USRA award in the fall or winter term, pending the announcement by NSERC of the availability of supplementary NSERC USRAs (typically in late-August). These supplemental awards are made available to the entire UBC campus and are first-come, first serve.