UBC Centre for Student Involvement and Careers (CIS&C) have extended the proposal submission deadline to February 17, 2021. The websites and the UBC CareersOnline online form have been updated to reflect the extended deadline.
Designed for International undergraduate students who are interested in research, the Work Learn International Undergraduate Research Awards (WL IURA) subsidizes professors to hire students to work on their research projects. The program provides students with workplace experience through undergraduate research opportunities, particularly for students interested in research as a career. Through the program, professors gain valuable help in furthering their research and supporting students in their learning.
New this year
UBC Centre for Student Involvement and Careers (CIS&C) has announced that effective for the summer 2021 competition, the value of the awards (the supervisors’ reimbursement) will be increased from $4,500 to $6,000.
The Faculty of Land & Food Systems has FIVE (5) WLIURAs available for 2021.
- Call for Research Project Proposal period: January 4 – February 17, 2021. (Note: Faculty members will need to submit a proposal(s) on UBC CareersOnline.)
- CIS&C to send all research project proposals pertaining to the Faculty/School in mid-February, 2021.
- Deadline for Faculty/School offices to submit their list of funded proposals: March 1, 2021.
- CSI&C will send funding decisions to faculty members by March 3, 2021.
- For faculty members who have not indicated an internal candidate for their position(s), it will be posted on UBC CareersOnline for students to apply from March 8 – 28, 2021.
Important reference documents and resources
- UBC CareersOnline Submission Guide for Faculty Supervisors
- Flowchart Information for Faculty Supervisors
- Flowchart Information for Students
- Additional information about the program can be found on the Faculty and Staff webpage
- Student eligibility information is available on Student Services website. It is the responsibility of the student to ensure they have the necessary work authorization documents to work in Canada. (Note: Graduating international undergraduate students may be eligible for the program.)
LFS selection criteria
- 50% Outline of Research Project
- 50% Description Student Role and Skills Gained
Potential supervisors should aim to select candidates who meet the academic eligibility criteria for the NSERC USRA (i.e. a B- average over previous years of study).
LFS review process
LFS (Associate Dean of Research in consultation with other faculty members) will review the WL IURA research project proposals and rank them using the above selection criteria. A list of chosen projects (the ‘A’ list) will be forwarded to the UBC Centre for Student Involvement and Careers (CIS&C) by March 1, 2021. At the same time, a ‘B-list’ of projects who meet the basic eligibility criteria will also be forwarded in the event that more funding become available or an A-list research project fails to recruit an eligible student.
Have a question?
Please contact LFS Undergraduate Student Research Awards email@example.com if you have any questions.